2020 hasn't been the year any of us planned for, however, all is not lost! There are employers in the Grimsby and Hull areas looking to take on an apprentice and give you a shot at a great career. If you went to college in September 2020 and you have decided it's not for you, here are 10 great reasons why you should consider an apprenticeship in 2021 as a great way to start your career.
1. Earn while you learn. As an apprentice, you will be paid while you work and learn, and completing an Apprenticeship can increase your future earning potential. Apprentices enjoy marked salary increases when they complete their training, and those completing a higher Apprenticeship could see increased earnings of an estimated £150,000 over their lifetime.
2. There are loads of career choices. People often think that apprenticeships are for just practical jobs such as construction or engineering. While they are available, we offer apprenticeships in Assessor & Coaching, Business and Administration, Customer Service, Digital Support, Hairdressing, Learning Mentor, Leadership and Management and we review our apprenticeships constantly to meet employer demand.
3. Learn the skills employers want. Many apprenticeships, and therefore the skills, knowledge and behaviours that you learn, have been designed with employers so they are what employers want and value and could give you the advantage when applying for jobs in the future.
4. It’s a change from the classroom. College is like school, except you get to call the teacher by their first name and there isn’t a uniform! With an apprenticeship, you get real, ‘hands-on’ practical experience in a real job role, learning the right skills in a real environment – this is the kind of experience that employers look for when recruiting new staff.
5. There are lots of different levels of apprenticeship and ones that suit school leavers at 16, people finishing college, university graduates and right through to people who have been in a job for many years. Apprenticeships are not only a way to start your career but also a way of progressing when you are in a job. Many employers are now investing in apprenticeships and see this as a great way to recruit and retain people in their organisation.
6. Learn from your work colleagues. You will have access to great support on your apprenticeship, from working alongside experienced people in your workplace and also from our specialist Programme Tutor Assessors who are there to help you gain the skills and knowledge you need to succeed.
7. You will learn transferable skills. As our apprentices do real jobs in real work environments, you gain the softer skills that will help you throughout your career and make you more confident such as team working, effective communication and problem-solving.
8. Build your professional networks. On an apprenticeship, you will naturally meet lots of people across your business and perhaps with external suppliers and agencies. You will be in an ideal place to build professional relationships and networks to succeed in the role you are in and for your future career ambitions.
9. Avoid student loans. Many who go to university come out with a significant amount of debt. As an apprentice, your employer pays for your training and pays you a salary.
10. Stand out from the crowd. Apprenticeships are an excellent way to gain access to a company or a sector you want to work in, and if you do a really good job and become a valued member of the team it will put you in a strong position when there are promotions available.
How to Apply
You can check out the apprenticeships we offer here and our current vacancies here. We are always adding new employer vacancies, so if you can't see a vacancy you like you can register your interest here, email or call 01472 426 624 for an application pack.
The process of hiring a new apprentice does not end when the offer is accepted. A key part of inducting a new apprentice is training.
Taking on an apprentice comes with plenty of exciting benefits. From upskilling existing employees to recruiting new team members
2020 hasn't been the year any of us planned for, however, all is not lost! Have a look at these great reasons!